The “Disabled Veteran” Value Exclusion provides a market value exclusion for property tax purposes for the homestead property of an honorably discharged veteran who has a service-connected disability rating of 70% or higher, as determined by the United States Department of Veterans Affairs.
There are some rules:
- The property must be homestead.
- The veteran must have been honorably discharged.
- The veteran must be certified by the USVA as having a service-connected disability.
- Qualifying veterans must have a 70% disability rating or higher.
- The veteran must apply to the program.(Applications must be made by July 1 to qualify for the exclusion on the current year’s market value for taxes payable the next year
Submitted by exclusive home buyer agent, Ron Jensrud