This time of year many of us head out of town – maybe sompleace south for a while. RISMeida recently posted 10 Tips to keep your home safe while you’re gone…
- Turn down your thermostat, but don’t shut it off. You shouldn’t set your thermostat any lower than 55 degrees in order to protect your pipes from freezing.
- Arrange for snow removal in your absence in case there’s a storm while you are away.
- Make sure to hold the mail and newspaper.
- If possible, leave a key with someone you trust, preferably a neighbor and have them keep an eye on your home while you’re gone.
- Unplug all electronics that don’t need to used like the television, coffee maker, and home computers.
- Lower the temperature on your water heater.
- If you can, leave a car in the driveway and use timers to turn on outdoor and indoor lights to give the impression that someone is home.
- As excited as you may be to go on vacation, avoid advertising it over Facebook and Twitter.
- If you have access to one, place all your valuables in a safe or safe deposit box.
- Remember, if your house is on the market, you can ask your REALTOR® to stop by and check in.
Submitted by Minneapolis Real Estate Agent, Mary Rugani.